Friday, May 27, 2011

D-Day


FRIDAY, MAY 27, 2011 4:39 PM, EDT
Diagnosis - D-Day
Today I was officially diagnosed with breast cancer. After seeing the ultrasound report and doing a little private investigation on the Internet to see what the report meant, I was not surprised when my OB Dr. Evans called me with the bad news. I told that it was the news I was expecting, and that I was okay...ready to fight. She told me that the Pathologist also said that there was no way that this has been there for 7 years...as long as I live I will never believe that! If that is the case, I have to be the "Breast Cancer Whisperer"...that, or I willed it there, which I refuse to believe.
So where do we go from here? Dr. Evans said that the breast surgeon's office would call me to set up subsequent appointments, and that I could expect chemo to follow after that. She said that there is a new "cool cap" that you can wear during chemo that would prevent hair loss...to that I replied, "Are you kidding? Then I would miss out on the opportunity to wear all of those cute scarves on my head! And I am going to make bald look good!" She agreed that I would have to get some pretty fabulous scarves to match all of my "shoe Nannie" shoes. I laughed, saying "Yeah, when Nathan asks me what he can do, I'm going to tell him the only thing I need from you right now is an Hermes scarf!" Little would he know that I want a $600 scarf to go with my Ferragamo Nannie boots! But we agreed that I am going to have to fight this with style...and so it will be.
My Path report came back with BIG BOLD LETTERS that read, "INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA WITH LOBULAR FEATURES"..."Single focus of intraductal carcinoma, cribriform type (low nuclear grade)"  I believe that means that my cancer has spread to other tissues, but it is slow growing. I am certainly hoping to find out exactly what that means on Wednesday when I have my surgical consult.

No comments:

Post a Comment