Sunday, September 11, 2011

A lifetime in a decade


SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2011 4:22 PM, EDT
10 Years
In the past 10 years, I:

 fell in love; 
lived in 3 states; 
was involved in 3 car accidents; 
had 6 jobs; 
had 19 bosses (yeah, in only 6 jobs); 
graduated with 3 degrees; 
had 2 children; 
lost a best friend; 
have only kissed one man; 
have been on 3 cruises;
 vacationed in 7 countries; 
gave birth to 2 boys; 
lived in 6 residences; 
got married; 
owned 2 houses; 
drove 4 cars; 
was diagnosed with breast cancer;
began my fight to live.

When I think of everything that I have accomplished in the last 10 years, it is no wonder I have an "old lady tumor!" I have lived a lifetime in the last 10 years, and I hope to have 9 of those lifetimes. Like a pompous little kitty has 9 lives, I hope to live a lifetime in each decade.

Ten years ago, I was in school. I had an Outpatient Radiology rotation at the University of Wisconsin Hospital. There was a television in the waiting area. It was 8am Central when I came breezing through, unaware of the morning's news. Patients, physicians, visitors and students were gathered in the waiting area, gazing blankly at the television. My mouth hung open and tears filled my eyes quickly. No one understood at that moment that the airplane that struck the World Trade Center first was the beginning of what our "new normal" would be. Ten minutes later, as we watched the screen, the second tower was hit by a subsequent plane. That was that - America was under attack. All of this further confirmed when we learned about the 3rd plane having crashed into the Pentagon and another in a field moments later.

We all remember where we were that day. If you don't know of a single person who was killed on September 11, 2001, you at least know of someone...6 degrees, right?  God bless the families and friends of those brave men, women and children who were taken that day. We will never forget.

What kind of lifetime have you lived in the last 10 years? I encourage you to think about the accomplishments and setbacks of your lifetime over the last decade. Consider yourself blessed that you had the opportunity to experience every moment. Remember those who fight for your opportunity to continue to experience these moments, and those whose opportunity was taken from them. 

Never forget,
Bean

✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰ 
✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰ 
✰✰✰✰✰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰ 
✰✰✰✰✰
☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰ 
☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰ 
☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰ 
☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰☰ 

No comments:

Post a Comment