Sunday, June 26, 2011

What's all the BUZZ about?


SUNDAY, JUNE 26, 2011 12:49 PM, EDT
What's all the BUZZ about?
Buzzzz OFF!
When we were in Radiography school, a class mate Dan Call had this great handlebar mustache - and most likely still does. Nathan grows a full beard every Fall for hunting season (irregardless of whether or not he hunts that season, this is a rite of passage that sends us into a "discussion" year after year). One year during Radiography school, Nathan decided to shave the beard in stages, one of which included a Fu Manchu style get up, and another dedicated to Dan Call's signature handlebar 'stache. The pictures still get a good chuckle out of me. And this was the inspiration for my transitional hairstyles to baldness.
I want to dedicate this posting to a new friend of mine, who was introduced to me through several friends from high school via Facebook. Stephanie Walsh - My MOHAWK transition is dedicated to YOU, my dear! Congrats on your recent clean bill of health, and thank you for sharing your hopeful story of strength with me!
Nathan, Logan, Parker and I had a big, fun party last night! You'll have to take a peek at the Photos tab - CB will only let me post one picture. The idea of course was to make this fun...My hair still isn't falling out in clumps like they said it would ~11 days after my first treatment. But to be honest, I don't do well in areas of my life that are completely out of my control, and this was my way of retaining some of that.
First, I sprayed my hair bright PINK, which is of course my new favorite color. Unfortunately, this is a strict violation of dress code. And while I enjoyed it during the pink hair phase of my "hair party," I couldn't make it work without the green headband! Logan was not a fan of the pink hair! Parker, on the other hand, loved it!
And then came the fun stuff! Nathan shaved my head into a mohawk...something I admittedly have wanted to try as a child of the '80's. If I didn't have cancer, I never would have had the opportunity to try this. Again, dress code and health care occupations go hand in hand, and I can't really push the envelope because I have chosen the management career path. So while I seriously think I ROCKED this look (especially with Logan and Parker in their "Rockin' PINK for my Mom" t-shirts - thanks Tiff!), I had to move on to the next step.
Which brings me to the Sinead O'Connor (I know, poor reference) look. It's too bad my hair is going to fall out from here - I love having tiny little hairs! If it would tay like this, I may not even need a scarf! Logan likes to rub my "fuzzy" head, though it took him a while to warm up to it. And Parker just smiles at me like he thinks it's cool. Secretly, he is thinking, "My mommy ROCKS!"
At church today, a fellow member asked me if I donated my hair to Locks of Love...it was a slightly awkward moment, but she handled it beautifully. I explained a little bit about what I was going through, and she gave me a hug and said, "Good luck to you." Then she turned to Nathan and asked if he was shaving his for sympathy! He was a little caught off-guard. He said to me - "You know I will do that if you want me to, right?" Of course I know that...but I don't need that. Now is the perfect time to rock my individualism...and play around with some new make-up tricks!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment